
Ukrainian military intelligence has released documents it claims show contract details of two Nigerians who died while allegedly fighting for Russia in the ongoing Russia–Ukraine war, now in its fourth year.
In a statement issued on Thursday, the Ukrainian Military Intelligence said it identified the men as Hamzat Kolawole and Mbah Udoka, both of whom were reportedly killed on the front lines in eastern Ukraine.
According to the intelligence agency, the two Nigerians joined the Russian army in mid-2025—Kolawole on August 29 and Udoka on September 28. Their bodies were said to have been discovered in the Luhansk region, a major flashpoint in the conflict.
Ukraine said both men were killed in late November during a Ukrainian drone strike while attempting to storm Ukrainian positions. The agency did not disclose when or how their bodies were recovered.
Documents and images released
Alongside its statement, Ukrainian intelligence published photographs of the two men wearing camouflage uniforms, as well as three single-page documents said to contain details of their identities and military status. Two of the documents are written in Russian, while the third is a mix of Russian and English.
Ukraine did not explain how it obtained the documents. Military analysts note that active combat soldiers typically do not carry such paperwork on the battlefield.
Although the documents could not be independently authenticated, journalists have reviewed their contents.
Alleged contract terms
The partially English document appears to be a one-year contract signed by Mr Kolawole. It includes his personal details, including a date of birth of April 23, 1983, and a Nigerian passport number.
The document states that his decision to join the Russian army was “voluntary and conscious” and that he expressed interest in signing a contract with Russia’s Ministry of Defence. However, it also outlines severe consequences should he refuse to sign, including detention, prolonged imprisonment pending deportation, a lifetime ban from entering Russia, and reimbursement of deportation travel costs.
The contract further indicates that, upon signing, Kolawole would be deployed to a “stormtrooper unit,” a term commonly used to describe front-line assault formations.
It remains unclear whether Kolawole signed the contract willingly or under pressure.
Udoka’s alleged military status
Two other documents, written entirely in Russian, appear to confirm Mr Udoka’s status as a contract soldier. One serves as a temporary certificate in place of a military ID card and lists his Nigerian passport number and date of birth.
Another document indicates that he was enlisted in Military Unit 91701 in Naro-Fominsk, near Moscow, and had been serving there since October 3, 2025. Both documents bear official-looking stamps and Ukrainian intelligence watermarks.
Pattern of alleged recruitment
Multiple investigations have previously alleged that Africans are being lured to Russia with promises of jobs, education, or better wages, only to be pressured into signing military contracts and sent to combat zones.
Reports by CNN, BBC, and Nigeria’s Punch have documented similar claims involving young men from Nigeria and other African and Middle Eastern countries.
Russia denies claims
Russia has repeatedly denied recruiting Nigerians to fight in Ukraine. On Wednesday, Russia’s ambassador to Nigeria, Andrey Podyolyshev, said there was no government-backed programme targeting Nigerians for recruitment.
He maintained that any illegal recruitment efforts, if they exist, are not linked to the Russian state.
Ukraine’s intelligence agency, however, warned Africans and other foreigners to avoid travelling to Russia or accepting job offers there, cautioning that such trips could result in forced deployment to high-risk assault units.
The war began in February 2022 following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. Estimates suggest that more than two million people from both sides have been killed, wounded, or are missing since the conflict started.